Monthly Archives: April 2013
It is official, I moved to California a year and a half ago and I’ve become a hippie. This isn’t totally surprising, I’d already been playing ultimate frisbee for years and, well, it was about time… These days I thoroughly enjoy my flip flop weather and the ability to commute via bike. Haven’t gotten into hooping quite yet, but there is still time.
With becoming more one with the earth, I’ve changed up my breakfast routine. Instead of random cereal or oatmeal, I’ve been enjoying my greek yogurt and Cascadian Farms granola every morning. In fact, I have to talk myself out of having it for dinner some days (like right this moment!). This breakfast combination leaves me completely satisfied from 8am until lunch unlike other things I’ve tried. It also improves the taste of cottage cheese if you want a high protein kick.
I’ve tried most of the Cascadian Farms granolas, and although I thought the dark chocolate almond would be a quick favorite, I gravitate toward the maple brown sugar. Seriously delicious. I find myself looking for excuses to munch on it. Isn’t everything better with some maple? (Maple bacon scones are one of the greatest gifts to mankind. Trust me on this and if you are in SF, then I’ll direct you to some!)
If you haven’t yet, also check out their new crunchy granola bars. The taste is similar to Nature Valley’s bars, but the ingredient list is significantly shorter. They also come in some other great flavors. Looking forward to getting my hands on the oat and cocoa!
What granola do you enjoy devouring? Have you tried Cascadian Farms?Note: Cascadian Farms has sent me several products to sample over the past few months. But let me be serious, I loved their granola long before they offered to send me any.
I never thought of myself as a runner
I don’t have a runners physique
And I move rather slowly
Even though I had completed numerous 5ks and short races
I was just dabbling, I was a jogger
I thought, “After I finish my first half, then maybe I’ll be a true runner”
But I completed my first half, and I was still the same
So I thought, “Maybe after my next half, then I can call myself a runner”
I completed four half marathons in six months
But I remained the same
Then I got a golden ticket and began training for my first full
In April 2011 I slowly but surely crossed the finish line of the Boston Marathon
And it was as I crossed that finish line that I was forever changed
I am a lot of things
I am a daughter
I am a student
But if you ask those close to me about my defining attribute
They will tell you
I am a runner
Because of Boston
After a fairly ridiculous weekend, I’m looking forward to getting back to being a productive member of society. Here are two photos to sum up how my weekend went. You’ll notice me overdoing it in pink for my Friday night festivities and being really proud (read: ashamed) on my red dress run on Saturday.
And since it is the beginning of the week, I decided to get involved with Friend Making Mondays! Make sure to check out all the other great responses over at All The Weigh.
TV, Movies and Me
1. If you could be a recurring star on a show that is currently on TV, which show would you choose? I’d choose Psych. The characters are absolutely hilarious and always find themselves doing ridiculously, fantastic things. Plus, I love a good mystery.
2. Name the movie that you are most embarrassed to admit that you love. I’ve seen every dance movie ever created? Absolutely love Center Stage and all of those genre.
3. Name one show that you’ve never seen and would love to watch. I’ve heard great things about Girls and Breaking Bad, but I’m the type that needs to see every episode starting from the beginning. It would take far too long to catch up on either series.
4. Do you ever go to movies alone? No, just not something I’m interested in doing. I rarely go to the movies unless I’m with a large group.
5. If you could only watch one TV show for the next year, which show would you choose and why? This one is really tough. It would have to be Dexter or Criminal Minds. I love a good crime drama and those both have plenty of seasons to keep me entertained.
6. If you could star in one reality show, which one would it be and why? I’d be on the Biggest Loser so I could work out with Jillian and ogle Dolvett. (Is this a reality show or a game show, I can’t decide?!)
7. If someone rented a billboard for you, what would it say? It would probably say something outrageous. Or just be a giant collage of puppies.
8. Who is the most famous person with whom you have been in the same room? Michael Jackson was at Universal Studios when I was there a dozen years ago, but I didn’t spend much time with him. I’ve spent time with some “famous” Silicon Valley folks, but I don’t think they qualify.
9. If you were chosen to be a contestant on a TV game show, which show would you want to be on? My best friend and I always wanted to go on Lingo (on the Game Show Network). If I had more random knowledge I’d want to go on Jeopardy.
10. If there was a movie being made about you, which actor would you choose to play you? One of my professors keeps mentioning that I look like Jennifer Lawrence… I don’t agree with her on the looks bit, but I love that girls personality.
So tell me, what is your favorite television show? What character do you relate with the most?
This weekend I’ll be participating in my hash’s red dress run (yes, even the dudes and dogs wear dresses). I’m a proud harriette, a lady member of the Hash House Harriers. Do you enjoy running and beer? Then this is a great group for you! Plus, it is international so there is no reason you shouldn’t join a kennel for a weekly run. (If you have any questions, I’d be all too happy to answer them.) I’m sure there will be plenty of embarrassing photos to show off come Sunday. Prepare yourself!
Along with the red dress, we’ll be supporting the Breast Cancer Foundation this evening with a pink pub crawl. What does this mean? I get to don all the pink I can find in my apartment! Here is a quick preview of what is to come. I’ve got a dress, shoes, underoos, necklace, sunglasses (with triceratops on top), wings, and a tutu. If only I could find my pink earrings… What do you think? Is it enough? :)
How do you doll yourself up for theme events?
Note: If you have any red dresses that you no longer need, I can find them a good home as I’ll be attending several red dress runs in the coming weeks. Drop me a line if you have any to donate. The more outrageous the better!