Friend Making Monday
Each week Kenlie at All the Weigh puts together a fantastic topic for FMM and asks the blogging universe to give their response. I’ve participated in the past and couldn’t pass up the opportunity to talk about Girly Stuff.
1. Do you like to shop? Of course! I don’t always love going to get “fashionable” clothing, but I have a serious obsession with purchasing running gear. I can’t walk into my local running store without trying on a handful of items. Lately I’ve been shopping for more “professional” grad school clothing so I can look like less of a schlub (thank goodness for outlet malls).
2. How often do you wear makeup? Quite rarely. I own a good amount of makeup but I don’t have the patience or a reason to put it on frequently. I’d say I wear makeup once or twice a month to special events or on the off chance I go on a date.
3. How do you feel about nail polish? I love it when I wear it, especially when it doesn’t start chipping within an hour. There is currently polish on my toes from a pedicure my mother forced on me a few weeks back and I love looking at the bright pink when I wear sandals. Polish on my hands typically lasts a week before I ruin it doing something random.
4. Do you consider yourself to be a feminist? This is something I’ve never actually thought about. Honestly, no, I stand by women’s rights but I wouldn’t consider myself a feminist.
5. What’s your biggest challenge as a woman? Feeling feminine. I was a tomboy for years and am typically treated as “one of the guys.” It takes a lot of preparation (read: preening) to make me feel feminine and pretty.
Note, I love Kenlie’s answer to this (and thought about stealing it): “Overcoming my insecurities based on ridiculous societal standards or learning to love myself even though I don’t feel pretty.”
6. Do you wear skirts and dresses? Or do you prefer something else? I typically wear pants or long shorts, although on occasion you will find me in a dress or skirt. I find that I wear dresses when I’m feeling overheated and too lazy to coordinate another cute outfit.
7. How do you feel about high heels? Ouch. I like wearing heels and parading around in front of the mirror, but wearing them for a night out rarely works. I realized recently that my heel threshold was two hours of standing/walking, after that I had to trade them for a pair of flats.
8. Do you subscribe to magazines? If so, which ones? My mother signed me up for Shape, Self, and Cosmo. I actually spent time reading the Shape and Self but Cosmo sat in a pile on my end table. Don’t think I’ll continue any subscriptions once I move to California.
9. Do you shave your legs/wax/ use depilatory creams or go au naturale? This one is embarrassing. I shave my legs approximately once a week (at most). I have blond hair so it is difficult to see and if no one will be near my legs I don’t make the effort.
10. What do you like most about being a woman? I like being able to break female stereotypes. Yes, it is sometimes insulting when a man offers to lift something for me or is shocked when I mention that I’m an engineer, but at times it is flattering the response I get for being so strong and independent.
Now it is your turn! Answer these questions, let me know a little something about you. Don’t forget to link up to All the Weigh if (and when) you make your own post. Have a lovely Monday!
And tell me, what do you like most about being a woman?